Tuesday 24 July 2007

Edmonton Grand Prix

The 2007 Edmonton Grand Prix.

Champ Cars are big here in North America.
(When they race at Surfers Paradise, we call them Indy Cars)
So, in my quest to live this Canadian life to the fullest, I signed up as a Volunteer to help out at the Edmonton Grand Prix.





The Special Events team was where they decided to put me.
It was our job to look after the stages and bands and stuff.



Of course, that meant that we got to hang out back stage and take photos :-)
Kenny Shields and Streetheart.



Nazareth's vocalist and lead electric bagpiper, Dan McCafferty.



And my faves, Exit 303 - these guys were the workhorse band of the weekend - they played all three days (three sets on Saturday)



So, what other stuff did I see while I was working?
It seems that the Mounties have traded in their horses.



And the Ambos are getting around on Segways.



I checked out Team Australia's setup.



"Just unbolt that bit there and the whole back comes off..."



"See. Now we just have to work out how to get it back on again."



Nascars were racing too. I looked and looked, but didn't see Lightning McQueen anywhere :-(



There were no bikes racing, but they were flying through the air.



I caught this F18 in mid-transform.
(I couldn't see a logo, so I had no idea if it was an Autobot or Decepticon - sorry)



The street drag racers here in Edmonton have a bit of a problem, the Police cars cover the quarter mile in under 11 seconds...



Ooh look - I can buy a Team Australia shirt for just $130.00.
(Or I can take a photo of a Team Australia shirt for free :-)



And so the Nascars raced around the track, and somebody won (look it up if you care :-)



The Canadian Air-Force Snowbirds arrived to chase away the Transformer F18.



So, on to the big race - the Champ Cars.
Team Australia's Will Power (cool name) ripped through with the fastest qualifying time and got to lead the grid. (Onya Will!)



CDW's Justin Wilson was the other car I was cheering for.
(CDW is out main IT supplier at work - they gave us some freebies :-)



So, round and round the cars went, much to the crowd's delight.
The Aussies dropped back in the field due to car trouble - I told them they shouldn't have pulled the back bit off.
Justin in the CDW car came in second.
I didn't see the end of the race because I was busy helping set up the Winner's Circle.
Check out the cool glass flamey thing trophies.



And the Inukshuk trophies for the Team Championship.



It turns out the the cars that came in first and third were owned by Paul Newman.



Here's Paul with the Team Australia boys.



But Paul Newman wasn't the only big name I came across - Lisa Takacs was there too.
Imagine - I got to see Lisa Takacs!



The winning car after the confetti cannon...



Enough racing - time to party - the rowdiest bunch there - the Special Events Team.



Entertainment provided by Exit 303.
(Hey Virg :-)



Rock On!



One last thing - Justin signed a car for me.
(Well, actually it was for my boss, but hey :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

go mark,mumnorma

DontLetHerLeaveYou KS&S said...

DO U GUYS HAVE MORE PIC OF THE AWSOME AWSOME KENNY SHIEDLS AND STREETEART??????// AND I TIHNK YOU TOTALY SHOULD BOOK THEM AGIAN~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE THE AWSOMEST EVER!!!!!!!...........