Wednesday 19 September 2007

Summer Hols West - Ketchikan

Summer Hols West - Ketchikan.

Here we are arriving in the vast metropolis of Ketchikan.
Notice how the tallest buildings in town are three or four storeys high, and we are looking down on their roof?
That's because I'm standing on the 12th storey deck of the ship.
It completely dwarfs everything else in town :-)




In the Global Referendum of '83, the Salmon of the world decided that their Capital should be at Ketchikan.



Hanging at the dock.



See - flopping huge.



Also, if you are in the market for a jewel encrusted crown, Ketchikan is the place to go.



And Ammolite - that wonderful gemstone found mainly in Alberta, Canada.
Hmm.



There was also a good supply of blacksmiths.



At the Lumberjack Show, the kids watched a wooden bunny rabbit get the top of its head cut off.



They are lumberjacks and they're ok.
They sleep all night and they work all day.



So while Delle and the kids are gallivanting around town with jewellery and wood, I had a bit of an adventure on my own.

Out across the bridge over the salmon-filled river into the old part of town where the houses of ill repute still stand I travelled, dragging with me my dirtiest secrets.

Furtively looking this way and that, sneaking past the Salvation Army Church (it was Sunday after all, and the service was in full swing.)

At last I spied my destination, nestled next to a bar down by the docks to give easy access to sailors that required it's special kind of service.

That's right - the laundromat - two weeks on the road left us with a huge bag full of dirty clothes.
On the ship they would wash your stuff for about $2 per item.
I reckon that the $15 I spent washing and drying our stuff saved us about $250 had we used the ship's laundry :-)



Bye Ketchikan.



Hello mini golf course.





Golf is a bit meh. A bit tricky too with the gentle rocking of the ship.
Time for something a bit more exciting, like rock climbing :-)



Yep, she made it to the top.



I gave it a go too - and made it up to ring the bell - yay!




That night after dinner, Delle and I went up to the front of the ship.
It was really, really windy.



Phew - blown away!



Oh no! We've been boarded by pirates!



This one looks particularly nasty.

1 comment:

Normaf said...

going to bring the crown home for your mum?